Friday 14 May 2010

Anti Social Behaviour

What a lovely morning, sun shining a light breeze, little or no traffic in places and a steady ride to work. You will have heard of cycling tribes - The Lycra crowd (of which I am a member), the messenger: cool and fixie, the commuter: brompton and briefcase etc. They were all out in force smiling in spring sunshine. All the lights were on green too, super bonus points. My morning bliss was shattered by the word C**t! as a man on what can only be described as a shopping bike hurtled out of a side street over a red light, swerved in front of me and gave me the bird! I looked round, a picture of innocence, shocked of Sevenoaks. I caught up with him, dragged along by the large hole he perforated in the morning breeze, pulled along side and looked at hime through the Orange Oakleys. "C**t, watch where you're going" he sprayed at me. "What?". "Right of way t**t, f**k you" and he wobbled off. I'm stunned by this behaviour, I only wish I'd pushed him under a bus. I'm not one who regularly runs the red lights or abuses pedestrians - in fact the lights were green for me and there wasn't a car to avoid or a jay walking pedestrian to salom passed.
I'm not surprised that cyclists get a bad reputation.
Manners cost nothing, a nod of the head, a smile, even a jaunty wave all help ease the world on it's journey round the sun. But is there a need to abuse the innocents in life. I'd love to urge a bit of patience with our fellow man and road users of all kinds. Cycling is meant to lower stress and blood pressure, be good for your heart and leave you feeling good. Leave the road rage at home

No comments:

Post a Comment