Thursday 24 June 2010

Father's Day


We've all had the socks and dodgy aftershave coupled with a homemade card, but last Sunday Noah gave me a special gift beyond my wildest dreams.

In true father and son style we chucked his bike in the back of the car and headed to the train station car park.

With his helmet strapped firmly in place and stabilisers removed I held the back of of his saddle and explained to him the principles of balance.

"Yes, but dad, on the telly the cycle riders lean to one side," he said, of course using childhood logic. Patiently I explained that when you're going really fast round a corner, yes, you do lean to one side. But when you're going very slowly in a straight line leaning to one side would lead to a fall.


We

went up and down the car park, me sweating profusely, bent double over the back of his Raleigh Dragon Slayer complete with go-faster flames. Eventually I was so knackered that I let go and slumped in a red-faced heap behind his bike. He wobbled left, then right and suddenly he was away. The bike took flight beneath his spinning pedals and I shouted encouragement like a dad ranting on the touchline of his son's football match. He stopped, looked over his shoulder and said, "I did it dad, I really did it".

To say my heart swelled with pride and my eyes with tears is an understatement. I had actually helped my son learn to ride his bike - a major moment in both our lives.

We did a few more laps, his joyful laughter at his new found independence filling my ears. Then he stopped and looked at me again and said, "Do you think we should be leaning over going round corners now?".

We decided that ice cream to celebrate was better. It meant we finished on a high, rather than in casualty!

No comments:

Post a Comment